Gastrostomy Care and Enteral Feeding
The course is aimed at all levels of employees with a responsibility for caring for people with a gastrostomy tube. The candidate will be required to have an experienced mentor available in practice to become competent. It is also useful as an update or people who have carried out gastrostomy care previously.
Duration: 3 hours
- Anatomy and Physiology of gastrointestinal system
- Care of the gastrostomy tube
- Care of the stoma site
- Administration of bolus feeds (not machine)
- Administration of Medication via gastrostomy tube
- Troubleshooting problems
- Practical session included on administration of medication and bolus feed via a gastrostomy tube
Assessment Method: Competency document will be provided for self-assessment or via a designated assessor depending on qualification. Test your knowledge in the booklet provided.
Learning Outcomes: On completion the candidate with have knowledge and skills to either; practice independently or with further supervision to become competent in gastrostomy care.