The course is aimed at all levels of employees who may wish to undertake venepuncture. The candidate will be required to have an experienced mentor available in practice to become competent. It is also useful as an update or people who have carried out the skill of venepuncture previously.
Duration: 3 hours
- Legislation; Policies; Consent
- Health & Safety, Infection Control; The clinical environment
- Risk Assessment correct Patient identity, awareness of the rights and needs of the Patient
- Anatomy & physiology needed for venepuncture
- Identify a suitable vein for venepuncture
- The correct application of tourniquet
- Correct sample bottles needed, order of draw, correct labelling of samples
- Practical session obtaining a sample using an adult artificial arm
- How to deal with adverse reactions
Assessment Method: Competency document provided. The candidate will be required to have an experienced mentor available in practice to become competent + written quiz.
Learning Outcomes: To provide knowledge and skills information for people to be able to practise the venepuncture skills under supervision until they become competent.